21 April 2014

Albion coat: toiling

So since I last checked in, I have settled on a coat pattern!!  Guys, do you know how freaking huge this is?  I am making a coat!!  WTF??!?!?!

So, it's Albion for the win! There was a sewalong so I get the benefit of lots of step by step instructions.  Which would help if I actually read them properly before fitting... I cut my first toile based on bust, and it was 2 sizes too big.  The instructions recommend that you cut out according to your shoulder width.  Duh Tanya .. the size I cut was like 4 inches too big across the shoulders.  


Anyway!  I finally got a fit I kinda like, and after working on my toile for the past two days, I feel compelled to post pictures as evidence, if nothing else.


Ta-da!  I feel so proud.  So the left side is the 'correct side' - I did a narrow shoulder adjustment, I feel like a freaking wizard! See how the right shoulder is sagging?  That one hasn't had the adjustment!  I wanted to try to keep adjustments to a minimum, because I really have no idea what I'm doing, but the other one I did was grade the coat out 3 inches on each side (well, 3 inches on each pattern piece so prob 6 inches per side) from about 5 inches under the armpit to make it more roomy for my posterior region.


I also tried to modify the hood to add the tab to the hood, but it looks like it will be too fiddly so I will prob abandon that idea unless I can find a good tutorial which is unlikely.


So I've already shown you the fabric I'm using - well not fabirc, a blanket!  I'm still not 100% sure it will work, but I'm going to give it my best.  I've also picked up some odds and ends, chevron fabric for the body lining from Spotlight, some grey silk/cotton from Darn Cheap Fabrics which I will use for lining the arms.  I picked up some heavy duty needles and a zip for the zip customisation.  I also want to add a drawstring waist (says the person who is trying to keep modifications to a minimum).


I'm going to work in as many suggestions from Grainline Studio as I can about working with coating to try to get a professional finish.  I'm also going to make my own toggles like Natalie from Gather and Sew.

I have all these grand ideas for this finished garment in my mind, I really hope I can do half of them justice.

~Tan

P.S.  I'm tagging all my albion posts albion.  because.


2 comments:

  1. It's going to be amazing, I'll be waving my knitty sticks as if they're pom pons.
    My own sewing pretensions have been temporarily suspended while I knit socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking great so far, Tanya! Good on you for doing a toile, and I totally love that chevron lining fabric ^___^

    ReplyDelete