21 January 2013

Running

I dedicate this post to my fitness guru, secretary, crochet biatch and wonderful friend, Rhonda.


Fitness and I have never seen eye to eye.  We have had a very strained, on-again-off-again relationship, dating back to high school where I would forge my mother's signature to get out of every second class of P.E.  (Seriously, I would be on my period every second day).  I would always promptly tell my mother what I had done when I got home, and she would laugh.  Not that I blame her in any way for my attitude, I just don't think it was ever my thing.  I was much more interested in book learning than running around in my leisure time. 

Recently however, we've been getting to know each other properly, fitness and I.  I, especially, have realised that fitness, when all is said and done, is actually really good.  Go figure.  What I'm trying to be is a runner. 

First up, I haven't done this alone.  Rhonda has been my trainer, and with her guidance and encouragement I have been able to achieve more than I ever thought possible.  I'm starting to really enjoy running, and it's all because of her :) 

I've been running now since around September.  It toom me about 8 weeks to be able to run 5 kilometers.  1 week less than that popular couch to 5k thing that is so fashionable.  I've wanted to blog about it for a while now, but I didn't think it would be very interesting.  I've changed my mind because it's interesting to me, so to hell with it.  Anyway, I'm collecting my thoughts here today and thought I might share what I'm learning about running.

It's hard
This is probably obvious, and in some ways I always knew it to be true, but thinking about how hard something is and knowing how hard something is are two different things.  After every work out with Rhonda, I am done.  Totally spent.  Out of breath, covered in sweat.  (Rhonda meanwhile doesn't even need a shower!).  I still get really anxious right before I head out for a 'long run' (read: 5km), I guess because I know it's going to be difficult.  I said to Rhonda one day that I can't wait until it gets eaiser.  Her response: "it's always going to be hard, because you'll always be pushing yourself to get better."  Yipes.  I do think I'm getting more used to it and ready for the challenge, but it's a long road.
People do not judge you
This was a big one for me for quite some time.  I was worried about people looking at my red face, seeing how puffed out I was, making judgements about my pitiful level of fitness.  You know what?  No one fucking cares.  In fact, it's the opposite.  Your friends will be interested in your progress and extremely supportive.  Who'd have guessed right?  The judgements they do make are based on your awesomeness.  I've had random comments from people saying 'hey saw you out there'! or, 'you're getting quite athletic' because we always run into each other in the change rooms.  And those comments are totally welcome. 
It's heaps better outside
Treadmill = so boring!  5km on the treadmills feels like an eternity more than outside.  Outside is just gorgeous, and you can literally see how far you've run.  You get the bonus added feelings of accomplishment for running up a difficult hill, and feeling like a runner with all the other lunchtime running enthusiasts.  Although, I haven't been a runner in winter yet, so we'll see how my feelings are in 6 months!
It makes you feel good
Good, inside and out.  The feeling of accomplishment and pride are probably the best things I've gotten out of this new fitness kick.  When you start to build up and improve your own personal best you are amazed, astounded and just so so happy with what you are able to achieve.  Also, those endorphins are probably helping to make me feel happy!  Remember, exercising gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy. Happy people don’t kill people!

It's possible
This was the biggest shock.  I can run people.  Wow.  Just wow.  At the moment I can run 5km.  Do you know how far that is?  FAR.  I am so very very proud of myself and am looking forward to doing more.  I am totally confident that by March I will be running 14km, and will be able to complete the Run for the Kids.  Stay tuned.

Thank you again Rhonda, you really can't know how amazingly inspirational you are to me <3


P.S.  Sorry for all the mushy inspirational quotes, but in the context of fitness I find them so relevant.  Plus I like them so STFU!

P.P.S.  I have a fitness board called Get f**king motivated on Pinterest. 


6 comments:

  1. Yay! You rock! And running IS hard, yo. Totally with you on that one. But it's also awesome, and I am thinking of getting back into running (outdoors, not just on the treadmill) as soon as Spring hits. Not too keen on running in the snow ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      You aren't hardcore if you don't run in all seasons (says the person who lives in the supermild climate that doesnt get snow :P)

      Delete
  2. Yay! Go you! Exercise and I have a similarly strained relationship, mainly because I find it so. damn. boring. >_< But I have been enjoying swimming lately, mainly because it's lovely to be in the water while it's so hot over here! ~_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you be bored when you're out of breath, heart pounding, sweaty as a pig! I'm constantly thinking, "howfarcanigoouchthishurtsimsotired" I don't get time to be bored!

      Oh I don't envy Perth weather, no way!

      Delete
  3. Woohoo! Congratulations on your awesome progress! And blog away..I'm fairly certain no one gives a crap when I post exercise stuff on my blog but it's a huge part of my life so it's staying in there. Your pinterest board rocks, too! I started following it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is becoming a huge part of my life. I haven't run for 4 days now. It's the worst feeling ever!

      Delete