01 January 2013

Nov-Dec Movies

Slowly returning to my usual scheduled programming.  I had a fairly dramatic December, but I'm trying to get my life back together.  For the purposes of this post that means watching a lot of movies and telling you about them :)

Some of the movies I've watched these last couple of months...

Cabin in the Woods (2011)
Whedon really cannot do any wrong.  I luff you Whedon!!!  This a pretty cool horror movie, with a cool unexpected (at least to me) twist.  Do you also hate those people who reckon they 'knew' the twist was coming?  Fuck youse guys, I enjoyed it and I didn't guess it.  Congratulations on being such a buzz kill. 

The Sapphires (2012)
Chris O'Dowd is just adorable.  He does a similar character here to that he did in Bridesmaids.  Plus there is great music, and Deborah Mailman, who we know is amazing.  And Aussie cinema.  Straya! All reasons you should watch this movie.  Much better than I expected, and I expected it to be good.
This is Star Sapphire.  I couldn't think of a cool picture to put here. 
The Quest (1996)
JCVD what are you doing?  JCVC, stahp.  I watched this with a couple of other JCVD fans, and had high hopes.  The beginning of the movie was interesting (JCVD has a mime?  Yes please.)  But it quickly deteriorated into a puddle of drivel.  What have you done JCVD what have you done??  I won't bother listing all the plot holes, there are just too many.  The movie looks good, you can see a lot of money here, but the story is just stupid.  No crafty pic for this movie, oh no you need to see Jean-Claude as a mime!

Wet Hot American Summer (2001)
What a great movie!  It really surprises me when I find a great movie full of great people in it that I had previously been completely ignorant of.  This movie is super funny, and definitely worth a look if you like those spoof type movies.  Plus, PAUL RUDD.

The Ten (2007)
Moar Paul Rudd?  Oh, here have The Ten.  Ten short stories based on the ten commandments, that are just oh-so-wrong.  Good flick! (Same director as Wet Hot American Summer, and similarly wacky).

The World According to Garp (1982)
What the what Robin Williams?  Seriously, what?  This is a weird fucking movie with a fucking weird ending.  Good, but weird.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Another supremely weird movie!  I just saw this for the first time, somehow managed to escape all the crazy hype when it came out.  Anyway, it was way too long and just weird.  I'm not a huge BP fan, so this film just didn't have that much appeal for me.

The Bourne Legacy (2012)
Ok, cheating a bit because I couldn't actually get through this movie.  It was just so freaking boring.  I don't remember the others being so boring, but this one was.  All that I took home from this was that Edward Norton was trying to hide some shit, and Jeremy Renner was being sneaky sneaky.  And it had  Evy from The Mummy in it.  Man, now I feel like watching The Mummy.

The Little Mermaid (1989)
Disney is my crutch.  I will choose Disney over chocolate 9 times out of 10.  It just does so much more for making me feel better.  TLM is my favourite Disney movie eva.

Tangled (2010)
More Disney therapy.  Really love this movie, maybe because it is so similar to TLM.  When I first saw this at the cinema, I took my then 6 year old niece.  During the scene where Flynn and Rapunzel are in the boat singing to each other, she leaned over and said "You and A should do that".  D'awwwww!

Bambi (1942)
Believe it or not, I had never seen this before.  So, finally got around to it.  It's a pretty enough movie, but probably won't have a high rotation for me.  I'm sorry, it just doesn't have a princess.

The Avengers (2012)
Have watched this about four time snow and it still doesn't get old.  At the moment my favourite line is "It seems to run on some form of electricity" from Cap.  Here's a cool video, bringing us back to how awesome Whedon is.  Hadn't seen it before?  You're welcome.

Looper (2012)
A movie that I was all eh about after watching the trailer, but found it surprisingly awesome.  Time travel!  Paradoxes!  Oww my brain!  JGL's make up looked a bit freaky at times, but his Bruce Willis impersonation was quite good.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)
Never forget how fucking funny Monty Python are.  Never ever.  Love this movie. So wrong but oh so right.  Particularly love the headmaster teaching sex-ed, Eric Idle's galaxy song and of course the vomiting man.  It's only wafer thin!! 

Paranorman (2012)
Super great movie!  Especially loved all the little horror movie references (his ringtone lol). Really loved how the horror themes were presented for the kiddies throughout this movie.

Frankenweenie (2012)
Tim Burton is actually ok when he gives his movies a bit of structure.  Lately he's been allowed to run wild and (I've found) his movies are just too chatotic.  I liked this one, but it comes in third after Nightmare and Corpse Bride.  And what's with calling all of your characters Victor?  Seriously, are there no other names that would be appropriate?  Still good to watch though.

The Hunger Games (2012)
I don't think I can criticise this one, or I'll get murdered right?  LOL the internet loves this movie.  I like it, though I think I've mentioned before it's no new concept:  watch Battle Royale people!  Still, the execution was enjoyable.  I've read the books also, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle books 2 and 3 on film.

Dredd (2012)
I was mesmerised by Karl Urban's constant frowny mouth in this movie.  Dredd has some serious anger issues.  But this movie friggin kicked ass!!  The violence was so over-the-top that it really pushed all the right buttons for me.  Cartoonish and fast paced, a new fave movie for me!  Plus Sarah Connor is in it, extra coolio!
Also, here is Karl Urban posing with a child chosplaying Dredd.  My new hero. 
Punisher:  War Zone (2008)
Recommended to me by A as a comparable movie to Dredd, due to the extreme levels of violence.   A good watch if you are that way inclined.  Also, Ray Stevenson, who I became a fan of from his excellent appearance in Dexter.
Yes, this is a hybrid punisher/hello kitty decal.  
Les Miserables (2012)
Oh yeah I saw this the other day.  I've never seen the stage production, but have the soundtrack and am familiar with, and love, the music.  Also a big fan of the Liam Neeson version.  It was good to see how the musical works (just listening to the music, sometimes I wasn't sure who was singing) but was surprised that my sentiments towards the music reflected my reaction to the movie:  love the first Act, bored by the second Act.  Once the movie is no longer focussed on Valjean, I lost interest.  Hugh Jackman was great, Russell Crow was a weird choice and Anne Hathaway was breathtaking.  It was definitely a film you have to see at the movies, but I still prefer the 1998 version. 
Yes, that is les mis inspired yarn.  Deal with it. 
And my stand out movie for dec-jan?

Dredd!  Very closely followed by The Meaning of Life :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment