21 November 2012

The hunt for the ultimate Melbourne CBD eggs benedict: Gordon's Cafe

You may have noticed that there has been a small hiatus from the hunt.  Things just get in the way sometimes.  Anyway, we're back!!

Dining Date: 14 November 2012

Location: Gordon's Cafe
306 Little Collins St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Ph: 03 9663 5103




The Causeway looks a bit dodgy when you enter it from Bourke Street, but is much more inviting from Little Collins.  Gordon's Cafe is technically on Little Collins (apparently) but you enter from The Causeway.  A great little cafe, and was quite busy even early in the morning, always a good sign.

Individual ratings:
Tanya:  6.5/10
Base:  English muffins!  Nice and fresh and toasted perfectly.
Eggs:  Good, although is that vinegar I taste?  Yes, it is.
Sauce:  Tasty, but nothing to write home about. 
Ham:  Good.
Price: $15.50
Coffee:  Quite good.  
Service:  Friendly and attentive. 
Overall comment:  Overall, good.  Not great, but enjoyable.  Like my sister, I can't pinpoint why Gordon's EB didn't blow me away.  All of the elements were fine, making for a fine dish.  That's it I suppose, it's fine.  That being said, I would visit Gordon's again. 

Lil sis: 6.5/10
After a two week break from our weekly EB, I was keen to get back into it. Today’s EB was average but still satisfying. Another hidden location in Melbourne we found ourselves tucked away in yet another alley way I didn’t even know existed. The dish was served on the English muffin, eggs were cooked well and over all it was satisfactory, however nothing really stood out with today’s dish, the hollandaise was average and even the ham lacked flavor, I think this may have been because it was shaved so finely? Service was reasonable, maybe a little over priced? Oh and coffee was ok! I score today’s EB a 6.5/10.

And how does that look on the Benedict-o-meter?  A firm 6.5 out of 10 Benedicts!!

Make sure you check out the map to see the other eggs benny locations lil sis and I have checked out.

Gordon's Cafe on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment