14 November 2012

cotton

You'd think looking back on my blog the last few weeks that I'd forgotten how to crochet or something. 

There has been a severe crochet shortage going on here. 

I'm partly blaming this on going to Queensland with my sisters for 6 days over the Melbourne Cup weekend.  I really thought it would be a holiday where I would get lots of time for hooking.  wrong.  When you spend 6 days in Queensland with 3 sisters and 3 nieces, you have no time.  It was full on.  Great, but full on.  The reason for the Queensland trip was to meet my Queenslander sister's baby (aww).  She is super cute, but the worst thing about having a younger sister with a baby is that now everyone tells you that you need a baby.  No I don't, eff off.

Which brings me to babies.

Working on a layette for a friend's baby.  I'm trying to pump this out so I can move onto something else.  It took ages to settle on a pattern, which is the cotton's fault.  Damn you cotton!


I'm using this pattern.  The main problem is that cotton is just not as snuggly as wool, so everything I was working up felt stiff as a board.  I tried about 5 patterns and pulled out every one.  I've decided to just stick with this now.  I dunno, I'm not super happy with it.  The stitch pattern looks messy to me.  I have decided that I will just have to accept that maybe, sometimes, things I make might not be absolutely 100% perfect.  I have to learn to be ok with that. 


Linking to- WIP Wednesday (Tami's Amis) | WIP Wednesday (Ambassador Crochet) | Yarn Along (Small Things) | Keep Calm and Craft On {Crafting on} (Frontier Dreams) | What you doing Wednesday (SusanD1408 Crochet Addict) | Hookin on Hump Day (My Merry Messy Life)

13 comments:

  1. The stitches don't look messy to me and I'm not just saying that!

    Do you think a little hand-washing would soften up the cotton? I heard that it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks :D I think I'm just not super happy about the pattern, I find it a bit too busy, but them I've been doing so many ripples lately that's probably why!

    I will let you know if it softens up in the wash :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think your stitches look messy at all, I really like it actually.
    I have heard it said about cotton that you either love to work with it or you hate it, hence the reason I haven't attempted it yet, scared I will belong to the latter group of people.
    Thanks, your post made me smile :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks lovely. I love the stitch pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the stitches will look messy to you because a), you've got your nose right up close to the stitches and will spot any inconsistency even if there aren't actually any (something any yarn crafter is capable of, by the way), or b), it's because it's cotton (DAMN YOU COTTON!). I always feel like my stitches are all over the place when crocheting with cotton, but when it's done and you give it a good soak and a bit of fluffing up they'll look like they should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very pretty! You will appreciate that you stuck to it in the end. Give it a wool wash & it should feel lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, so i don't use a hook, but i must say it does look lovely. cotton can be a tricky thing to use. i have found that lion brand organic cotton is AMAZING to work with, very silky and hand nice and soft. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that the pattern looks good to me! I do think being close to it makes a difference. I think the pattern is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with the others - the pattern is lovely, and such a pretty colour! I'll be interested to hear how the cotton reacts to being soaked...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, and baby blankets are bette in cotton... I think your friend will be very pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looking beautiful!! love the texture so much~ I think it is great thing that you learn to accept imperfections. everything in our life is a process of learning and all worth trying. we cannot be always perfect. imperfections make perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I end up working in cotton a lot. It's just so HOT here, wool seems insane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pattern! It has great texture and the color is very nice. Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete